Learn how to help your boss be successful
A key to success for virtually everyone in the workplace is adopting a “managing up” mentality, focusing on how each of us can help our bosses (and other senior leaders) be successful – even if they’re not the “perfect boss”. This presentation explores proven techniques for managing common varieties of the “difficult boss”:
- “The Tornado” - I hope you don’t mind me intimidating everyone with my overbearing nature at your team meetings…I’m just trying to help you speed things along.
- “The Clueless Chameleon” - I’m not exactly clear on what I’m looking for, but I’ll be sure to hold you responsible when I don’t get it!
- “The Wishful Thinker” - Would you please boil the ocean? (and solve world peace, too, while you’re at it)
- “The Micromanager” – “I know I asked you to handle this, but I’ve got a few ideas on how you should do it….and could you give me a daily update just to be sure we’re on the same page?”
In this webinar, participants will learn:
- What managing up is and why you should be doing it!
- Techniques for effectively managing an overbearing or chaotic personality type
- How to use risk analysis to present sensitive information and manage difficult discussions
- The benefits of using team charters and other techniques to provide clarity in low communication environments
For an overview of some of the “managing up” tips provided in this session, please view this training video.
This session is a part of the CREW Cares Professional Development Series focused on career education, management and growth. This series is a complimentary resource and service exclusively for CREW Network members.
With featured speaker Dana Brownlee, President, Professionalism Matters
After years of working as a business strategy consultant with top IT firms, in 2003 Dana Brownlee founded Professionalism Matters an Atlanta based corporate training company. An energetic and innovative speaker and trainer, Dana has thrilled audiences with speaking events across the U.S. and globally. A senior contributor for Forbes Careers, her business expertise has also been featured in The Wall Street Journal, CNN, HuffPost, Working Mother, and other notable publications. Her first book "The Unwritten Rules of Managing Up: Project Management Techniques from the Trenches" was published by Berrett-Koehler in February 2019.
A nationally recognized speaker, Dana speaks to groups large and small on a variety of topics including tips for rescuing your meetings, dealing with the difficult boss, secrets of the “Thoroughbred Leader”, and discovering the keys to true work life balance. She holds a BS, BIE, MBA, and PMP.